Serving Clients Throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia
Whether you are creating a will or trust, managing a loved one’s estate, in the midst of a divorce,
custody or support or dealing with another legal issue, time is money. Involvement of an experienced attorney at the beginning stages of your legal issue can minimize your legal and emotional investment and aid in the efficient resolution of your legal problem. A skilled family law and estate planning attorney can help you avoid delays, drama and legal runaround. At the McDevitt Law Office in Vienna, Virginia, I focus on clearing roadblocks to help you reach your goals.
I am Fairfax and Vienna, Virginia, lawyer Lisa Lane McDevitt. With more than a decade of experience, I have a strong record of handling personal and family legal concerns involving estate planning, probate and uncontested divorce.
Estate Planning and Probate Services in Virginia and Washington, D.C.
I assist clients throughout Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C., in developing individualized estate plans that are tailored to their specific situations whether small or large estates. I also offer probate services to help families through the administration of a loved one’s estate as professionally and efficiently as possible.
My estate planning practice includes:
- Creating simple and complex wills, including pour over wills
- Creating trusts, including testamentary trusts and living trusts (also known as inter vivos trusts)
- Naming guardians for minor children and executors of your estate
- Establishing advanced medical directives, health care power of attorney and living wills
- Creation of powers of attorney
- Asset transfer plans with optimal tax avoidance
- Other estate planning
My probate practice encompasses:
- Verification and administration of the will
- Estate inventory
- Resolution of estate disputes and probate litigation
- Disbursement of payment to valid creditors
- Asset transfer to heirs/beneficiaries
- Other aspects of probate and estate administration
Fairfax and Vienna Family Law Attorney
My family law representation focuses on uncontested legal matters involving divorce, military divorce, separation and property settlement agreements as well as prenuptial agreements and other family law issues involving:
Divorce: I will work with you (and sometimes collaboratively with your spouse) to create a divorce settlement agreement or separation agreement, fully addressing the many components of divorce or separation:
- Uncontested Divorce
- Contested Divorce
- Child custody and child visitation
- Child support and modification
- Negotiating property division, debt allocation and spousal support/alimony
- Retirement pensions, including Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) defined benefit plans or contribution plans, federal, state and local government and public school employee plans and all other private retirement plans and pensions
- Domicile and residency requirements for filing and service of process
You may also obtain an uncontested divorce even if you don’t know how or where to locate your spouse. I can help you navigate the burdensome process involved with divorcing a missing spouse.
Compliance with military rules and regulations regarding family support is crucial when you and/or your spouse is active or reserve US military. The following issues are but a few involved with a military divorce:
- Military retired pay as marital property under the Uniformed Services Former Spouses ProtecAct (USFSPA)
- Domicile and residency requirements for filing for divorce and service of process
- Military retirement benefits
- Survivor benefit plans
- Spousal entitlements
- Rights and protections under the Service Members’ Civil Relief Act (SCRA)
Communication Is Key
Being a good communicator serves me well as a lawyer. Beginning with our first meeting, I will take the time to get to know you and the issues you may be facing. Throughout our relationship, I will work closely with you to explore your goals, address your concerns and provide constant communication with you about your case.
I will be upfront about expectations, and you can be confident I will respond quickly when you have questions or concerns. With an uncontested divorce, you will know exactly what your costs will be because I offer flat fees. Whatever type of legal issue you have, you will never be surprised by hidden charges from my firm. I am dedicated to providing high value at low cost.
Contact me to discuss your case.